Yes, you could go on the
master cleanse. Drink water with lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and maple syrup and nothing else. It’s gross. If you like it, you’re lucky, but for most of us, it’s gross, and definitely not filling. This said, plenty of people have turned to the smoothie cleanse, though many of us are also inclined to put non-cleansing ingredients in that can actually interfere with our ability to achieve the weight loss and cleaning we want. There has to be some kind of balance.
There are plenty of benefits to cleansing ranging from weight loss to more energy to clearer skin. Here are a few easy recipes that could actually be more tolerable and more effective than what you’re used to.
- Celery Cilantro Cleanser – You will want to combine 2 celery stalks, 1/2 green apple, 1 bunch of cilantro, 1 head romaine lettuce, and 1/2 knob of ginger root in a juicer, and there you go. This serves one and it can really help with digestion and energy to start.
- Detox Water – Detox water doesn’t require any kind of blender, and it can be pretty easy. Make this a day ahead and then just keep it in your fridge. It’s also calorie free. In a 16 ounce pitcher of water, combine 16oz cold water, 1/2 a cucumber thinly sliced, 5 strawberries (sliced and stems removed), and 1 lemon (sliced thin).
- Detox Smoothie – There are of course plenty of smoothies that you can use to detoxify your body. This particular smoothie is low in sugar and easy to digest. It is full of fiber, and it can help you to cleanse the liver, colon, and kidneys with enough fiber to fill you. Mix 1 cup cold filtered water, 10 almonds soaked overnight and rinsed, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, 1 teaspoon chia seed, 1 cup organic raspberries, and juice from a lemon. If you place all of these ingredients in a high powered blender, you get an easy smoothie.
- ABC Detox Smoothie – The ingredients are simple and as easy as A, B, C. You will combine 1 stemmed, cored, and sliced green apple, 1 beet skinned and sliced, 1 large carrot, and juice from a lemon. You can put all of the ingredients through a blender with a cup of water.
- Chai Detox Milk – You don’t have to use just water or juice based drinks to detox. You can actually try a chai detox milk. It can be used as a light snack or for breakfast. You may even start to crave this one. For this, you would mix a cup of brewed rooibos tea, 1 cup almond milk, 1 knob fresh ginger, liquid stevia to taste (you can skip this if you want), 1 tsp cinnamon, a dash of apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp raw coconut oil, and 1 tbsp raw almond butter. You can blend all of these ingredients in your blender and serve warm or over ice. You can also blend this with ice.
- Detox Juice – This juice has been used by some to reduce anxiety, clear bloating, aid in digestion, and hydrate the body for healthy energy. Combine 3 stalks of celery, 1 cucumber, 1 inch fresh ginger root, 2 slices fresh fennel bulb, 1 lemon, 5 stalks kale, and 6oz fresh coconut water in a juicer (except the coconut water). Add the coconut water to the other juiced ingredients.
- Winter Detox Juice – The body can suffer lower levels of vitamin C and other essential vitamins and minerals in the winter. Potassium can also drop due to colds, electrolyte imbalances can happen due to dehydration, and stuffiness indoors can cause one to get sick faster. This winter detox can give you that winter boost for better health. Combine 1 navel orange, 1 green apple, 1 large carrot, 3 large kale leaves, 1 knob ginger, 1 stalk celery, and 1 lemon. Run these through a juicer and serve cold.